Cognitive Therapy is a form of treatment that focuses on examining the relationships between thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
CBT has become one of the most common treatment models used in addiction treatment.
Stages of Change
- Pre-contemplation– Person is unaware of problems, and/or unwilling to make a change.
- Contemplation-Person recognizes the problems, however they are not ready to make the changes.
- Preparation– Person is preparing to start making small behavior changes.
- Action-Person has implemented change, they are actively making changes to their thought process and behaviors.
- Maintenance-Person has maintained 6 months of clean time, and continue to focus on relapse prevention.